Welcome to the new website for the Southern African Council of Priests!
THE SOUTHERN AFRICAN COUNCIL OF PRIESTS (SACOP)
SACOP is a representative body of the priests of SOUTHERN AFRICA, covering the various ecclesiastical territories served by the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference (SACBC).
The purpose of the Council is to promote, in hierarchical communion, an efficacious sharing of responsibility in the mission of the Church.
To this end the Council serves as:
1. An instrument for closer co-operation with the SACBC in matters of general concern;
2. A forum for the exchange and co-ordination of the views of priests as to the mission of the
Church, in a true spirit of brotherly unity;
3. An agency dealing with problems affecting the personal life and ministry of priests;
4. A medium of helpful collaboration with other legitimately-constituted apostolic groups, especially those engaged at a national level;
5. A means of co-operating with Christian and non-Christian bodies in the development of ecumenical activities.
SACOP is an advisory body, sharing responsibility with the bishops for the mission of the Church.